Date: 7/31/20 10:16 am
From: John Schladweiler via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: Re: [Mnbird] Somebody always wants your lunch
About 40 years ago I lived in a small town in Western MN. We had a pair of
Western Kingbirds that nested on a transformer platform in the alley.
Every time I mowed the lawn one of the pair would come and perch on the
clothesline and pick off the bugs that the mower was kicking up. Both the
birds and I considered it a mobile food plot.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 11:15 AM Linda Whyte via Mnbird <
<mnbird...> wrote:

> Maybe it has always been this way, but let's hope it doesn't indicate a
> new dearth of insects.
> Linda Whyte
>
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2020, 10:01 AM DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <
> <mnbird...> wrote:
>
>> Interesting behavior in my neighborhood. The Bluebirds are working hard
>> to catch bugs for their second hatch. But a male Phoebe has made it harder.
>> He follows the Bluebirds, and when they drop from their perch to retrieve a
>> bug, he beats them to it, or sometimes tries to snatch it from them in the
>> air.
>> Luckily his nest appears to be off a ways, so they have enough moments of
>> free hunting to keep going.
>>
>> The Phoebe is most active in the morning, but the Bluebirds hunt all day
>> long.
>>
>> Don Grussing
>> Minnetonka

John Schladweiler