Date: 7/31/20 9:59 am
From: raqbirds via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: Re: [NHBirds] Possible Western Tanager in Durham
Hi Kurk et al,

Young tanagers just out of the nest can be in what is called juvenal plumage, which is something we rarely see. I saw one such bird this week in my neighborhood and it was puzzling at first. It was streaky and had a noticeable white wing bar. I strongly suspect this is what your friends saw.

This was the first time I have ever seen this plumage and it was indeed tricky!
BTW- I have enjoyed your musings (and "amusings") in your posts.

Robert A. QuinnMerlin Wildlife Tours 603-746-2535 office 603-568-8582 cell

"Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons and daughters of the earth." Chief Seattle