Date: 7/31/20 9:48 am
From: Clifford Cathers <azbirding...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]AZ:07/31/20:Outside Patons Center Patagonia
External Email

With Tucson slated for 112 F today, it seemed like a good idea to get out of town and try for the hummingbirds in Patagonia again this morning.

The reward for the repeat drive of yesterday was a male MONTEZUMA QUAIL standing in the middle of the road along Route 83 just west of the Border Patrol checkpoint.  CASSIN'S and BOTTERI'S SPARROWs were singing in this same general area.

Whereas yesterday's early morning visit to the Paton Center didn't yield the PLAIN-CAPPED STARTHROAT in an hour and a half, this morning's later "vigil" required all of four minutes (at 8:25 AM).  The bird was favoring the right most (western most, towards the preserve) in the open feeder and was showing off a really nice ruby throat sliver (much brighter and more extensive than some of the other duller plumage birds I've seen in years past in Arizona).  It always amuses me how this bird has to lean back to get its long bill into the hummingbird feeder ports.

Others included BROAD-BILLED, BROAD-TAILED, CALLIOPE, ANNA'S, RUFOUS, and BLACK-CHINNED HUMMINGBIRDs and the same supporting cast as yesterday with YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, NORTHERN BEARDLESS TYRANNULET and SUMMER TANAGER.

I checked down the road at the Rufous-capped Warbler spot but all I found was a scad of YELLOW-BREASTED CHATs and a singing INDIGO BUNTING.

Stay cool.

Clifford A. Catherzs

Vail, AZHome Page: https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/info/aznmbirds