Date: 7/31/20 4:00 am
From: Vara Vissa <vvissa...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Solitary ibis at Cherry Creek State Park, Arapahoe County
Hello Colorado Birders!

I live across the Larimer County landfill at the intersection of Taft Hill
and Trilby Road (on the Southeast corner). I have seen many avid birders
come from far and wide, even transiently parking on our little road and
driveway! I came across several of your club members, excitedly looking
for/at the GYRFALCON this past winter. I am keen to learn more from you
experts and hobbyists. Lots of prairie grass birds on my property and in
the neighboring fields. They are enjoying a DIY waterfall we built. Steady
stream of birds, including one that looked like a small hawk, stop by for a
drink, rest and baths.

I look forward to meeting any of you at my home, driveway, or at a bird
sighting near where I live. Please drop in for a cup of tea while you aim
your binoculars to the skies, foothills, trees and prairie. Please educate
me with your bird knowledge!

I am worried and panicked that nearly 200 acres of proximal open spaces
near the landfill and adjacent to the current natural areas are at risk.
Lots of land fragmentation is happening. Please note that a massive waste
transfer station and behavioral health facility are proposed on lands south
of the current landfill, which were undeniably designated as open spaces in
regional master plans. The areas in these rural settings are being rezoned
for large scale (waste) industrialization and urbanization/business.
Traffic of all types to support these waste operations and the hospital are
to increase 24x7 across the intersection and on Taft and Trilby. Night/dark
sky will vanish. Valuable natural assets, the biodiversity, and the
foothills viewshed, all of which are of the greatest significance and the
main draw to Colorado living are being eroded; imminently.

I am using this platform, in desperation, in the middle of COVID pandemic
to reach out, inform and alert you. Extremely difficult to see neighbors,
friends, and network in these times. Yet these ‘land use hearings of
permanent negative consequence to natural resources, which are basically
‘rezoning and abuses’ are happening in poorly advertised, poorly attended
approvals with short timelines. On June 17, the Larimer County Planning
Commission green lit these projects at these locations. They are force
fitting completely incompatible operations by bringing in the city into a
region that was not long ago promised to be retained as ‘rural’ and
preserved as open space. Another skimpy virtual presentation in broad
strokes, was given on July 15 after the fact as a form of public outreach.

The dirt road Trilby (west of Taft Hill) is to become the new main paved
road for the trash and health facility operations. Please take action to
oppose ALL these City and County projects that are taking away our
open spaces. Happy to provide details.

Thanks for letting me into your club. I apologize for making an entry in
this manner. I join guided bird walks held by the City of Loveland and try
to learn a little here and there. I was unexpectedly given a book on
Northern Colorado birds, just yesterday evening! It must be a calling! I
have homework to do.

Many wishes for your health and happiness,

Vara Vissa