Date: 7/30/20 8:10 pm
From: Rhandy Helton <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender rjhelton for DMARC)
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
I estimated 100 gnatcatchers yesterday on my ebird visit. Justin Bosler was passing through the area and he estimated 150. The fence line along the road into the Junction WTP was cleared a couple years ago but a large Pecan was left as were a couple of mesquites and acacia further down. These trees were loaded with gnatcatchers. I have noticed this phenomenon before, usually later in the summer. The ponds attract a multitude of small insect i.e. midges, gnats etc. as not much impounded water in Kimble County. I think the birds are getting fat before migrating out later. I don't see gnatcatchers here in winter. Yesterday I also had a Black-capped Vireo along the fence line and in the large pecan, and not exactly its habitat.
Rhandy J. HeltonJunction, Texas

Join us on Facebook!