Date: 7/30/20 6:51 pm
From: Scott Richardson <scott.xot...>
Subject: Re: [Maine-birds] Carolina Wren, Harpswell, ME 7/29/20
I confirmed this evening that Carolina wrens are working on their third
brood in our Berwick yard this year. With this kind of productivity and
fewer brutal winters to knock them back, they'll lose that "rare" status
pretty quickly, I'd guess.

We've lived here 20 years, but the wrens were not here at first. Gradually,
they went from now and then to regular to permanent. Through 2012, they
were mostly around September to March. In May 2013, I spotted a family
moving through. In 2015 they nested in or near our yard. Over the past 6
years, I have failed to note them during only 1 month and that might have
been due to my laziness.

This year they had fledglings before the Maine bird atlas "safe date," got
a second nest going in the first week of June, fledged those young July
4/5, and have 4 eggs in nest three. They've gotten bolder through the
season. I don't know where the first nest was, but the second was in our
garage and the third is in a planter on our porch. (They get pretty mad
when it's time to water.)

Scott