Date: 7/30/20 6:10 pm
From: Thor Manson <thormanson...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Birding, ( next to ) Paton's today.
External Email

Hi Birders: Well the Plain capped Starthroat did show up a number of times today at Paton's. I didn't get there until 9:30, and my colleague Malcom had already filled all the feeders; ( good timing on my part!! ). In the morning, while I was there, it seemed to show up approximately on the half hour on the feeders we have set up just inside the fence, so they are easily viewable from the road. In the afternoon, at least until 3:30 p.m., when I left, it was slower, perhaps every hour, or even longer.
It was, however, a really good day for hummingbird viewing. On those same feeders we had 8 different species. Besides the starthroat, there were 3 male Rufous, a male Calliope, Violet crowned, a Costa's, Broad billed, ( most numerous ), Black chinned, and Anna's. The only other birds I noticed, ( as I was focusing on the hummers ), was a bright male migrating Western Tanager, a kind of ratty male Summer Tanager, and heard Yellow billed Cuckoo.
Once again if you go, I suggest you read Tucson Audubon's executive director's ( Jonathan Lutz's ) precautionary statements that are on this list server, ( just scroll down a little ). Also, if you plan to stake out the starthroat, a portable chair is a really good idea, as it can take awhile to show up. Cheers, Thor

Thor Manson
Green Valley