Date: 7/30/20 5:45 pm
From: Brian Nicholas <weehawker2...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Arivaca Lake Painted Buntings
External Email

Today I visited Arivaca Lake and found it pretty birdy. A total of 5 male Painted Buntings were there, 2 in the johnson grass in the parking area and one in the next small cove just left of the parking area (going north along the western shoreline). For the last 2 I hiked east over the hill to the large hidden finger of the lake (easy hike). This area has a large section of johnson grass with lots of Lazuli and Varied Buntings, especially toward the east end where the grass meets the slope. The 2 painted buntings were seen here. This whole area including the nice riparian stream bed can be pretty diverse. The shoreline of the lake in this area has some mud flats which may bring in interesting shorebirds.
As a side note, the Arivaca Lake hotspot has 235 species overall with just 440 eBird checklists submitted. So, technically, your chance of adding a new species to the hotspot is around 50 percent.
Brian NicholasHome Page: https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/info/aznmbirds