Date: 7/30/20 3:56 pm
From: Miriam Simmons <simmonsmiriamj...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Long Pond, Benton NH.. kayak birding
2.5 hours circumference of pond, 2.4 miles, slow birding paddle.

The access road to Long Pond was storm damaged and closed in October 2017.
After many delays, and reduced funding, the White Mountain National Forest has finished road repairs and access is open to Long Pond. The access road gate officially opened 8 to 10 days ago.

An amazingly quiet paddle, we were alone on the pond for 1.45 hours, until local kayakers accessed the pond.

This was an opportunity to bird an area that had been essentially undisturbed for 2.5 years.

Highlights
..at least 4 Belted Kingfisher families
..an Osprey at the south end of the pond with a large fish in a tall spruce tree.
..one solitary sandpiper
..No sightings of great blue herons, which we had seen in 2017.

Here's the link to full report on eBird

https://ebird.org/checklist/S71960956

It appears that this is the first time that Long Pond has been birded by boat since the road washed out in October 2017. Of particular note was the number of kingfishers

Miriam & Roger Simmons