Date: 7/30/20 3:42 pm
From: William Pelletier via groups.io <wrpelletier=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Looking, Unsuccessfully, For a Wood Duck in Santa Clara County on 7/30/2020
Frank,
The WODUs seem to have moved after the young fledged and I haven't seen one in county since May, not that I've been in county much this summer. If I were on a big day, looking for Wood Duck to add to the day's tally, I would try the following locations:
Live Oak Area near Anderson Dam - https://ebird.org/checklist/S63114323
Guadalupe Creek along Hicks Rd almost always has a few - https://ebird.org/checklist/S71943978
Old Oak Glen Rd down by Chesboro - https://ebird.org/checklist/S68751935
I chose random checklists in the south county from eBird and from there you can pull up the map and look at pictures too.
We all need just a little more Wood Ducks in our life!
Keep us posted,Bill P
p.s. Most of all thanks to you and Bob Reiling who inspired and encouraged me to get back into birding after my youngest (of 3 sons) graduated Willow Glen High in 2015. It's clear to see by my eBird stats when I awoke ... it was just 2017 when I cracked 200 species in Santa Clara county for a year. I'm still the new kid on the birding block ;)

On Thursday, July 30, 2020, 01:55:27 PM PDT, Frank Vanslager via groups.io <vanslagerf=<aol.com...> wrote:

All:

Looking over my past data I found that I hadn't recorded a wood Duck as a county-year-bird.  So I used Bill Pelletier's powerful method (posted on May 26), which I have bookmarked as "Explore Species Photographed".  With the Location as Santa Clara, and sorting for Newest First, I found that on July 25 Carol Ann Krug Graves photographed a female Wood Duck at Vasona Lake County Park.

So I spent a pleasant couple hours exploring the creek at Vasona.  I did find the female Common Merganser on the creek, but I missed the Wood Duck.

Thanks again Bill.

Frank Vanslager

View/Reply Online (#22077): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/22077
-=-=-