Date: 7/30/20 1:31 pm
From: 'Phil Brown' via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] a few Keene area sightings
Running some errands in Keene today, I heard several Red Crossbills flying over the Ash Brook wetland area. Red Crossbills have been near daily for me in Hancock and are turning up in most places I've been the last couple of weeks. I know many birders are also reporting them, and there are several distinct 'type' possibilities, best determined by their calls.
A quick pass of the Dillant-Hopkins Airport in Swanzey by car turned up a visual American Bittern in the first wetland along the road, and four Great Egrets together in the second wetland. Also plenty of Mallards and Wood Ducks, including this year's young.It is the season for inland Great Egrets and other heron family members as these birds often disperse post-breeding.
Back home, Yellow-billed Cuckoo has been vocal in my yard and in several other places around Hancock. Lots of area birders are reporting them, and many people somewhat new to birding are hearing them this year. They may be responding, in part, to an outbreak in certain types of 'hairy' caterpillars - a favorite food source.
A banner year for this species in southern NH, as well as the Red Crossbill.
Phil BrownHancock, NH