Date: 7/30/20 11:49 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Lakewood Merlins
Merlins have nested again in Lakewood, for the tenth consecutive summer that I have lived in the village.
I have observed them from my home every day since April 4th.
The nest, 90 feet up in a neighbor’s pine tree, survived a thunderstorm on July 11. The next day, three young Merlins – one with natal down – were perched within a foot of the nest.
During this pandemic summer, “my” Merlins entertained me through the cycle of courtship, nesting, chasing Turkey Vultures and Osprey, bringing in prey, noisily food-begging, and finally flying freely around the area.

Tom Simmons
<tsimmons7...>