Date: 7/29/20 1:22 pm
From: T. M. Day <blkvulture...>
Subject: [va-bird] Manassas Park Birding
Greetings,
Last Thursday (23 July), Ian Topolsky and I birded a new(ish) park in
Manassas Park called Blooms Park. The land was acquired by the City of
Manassas Park from Prince William County in spring of 2019. The land had
been operated as a golf course, but because the course was so difficult
that golfers didn't want to play it, the county couldn't justify keeping it
open and turned the course and the land over to Manassas Park. The result
is a long, 3.5-mile hiking trail through forest and fairways that are
returning to a more natural state. This park may be of interest to birders
as well as folks just looking for a nice walk. I will warn that the paved
path is surprisingly steep in places.

The birding is what one would expect from the habitat, and the day of our
visit was hot and humid. We managed around forty species, with no real
surprises. Perhaps the most notable species was Blue Grosbeak, with a pair
seen at one spot, and another male singing elsewhere. These birds likely
wouldn't have been here while this course was a golf course.

Below I've included a link to the hotspot description from the
BirdingVirginia.org website, as well as a brief profile about Manassas Park
from the same site. I have also included the eBird checklist from last
Thursday.

Cheers,

Todd

Blooms Park hotspot description: