Date: 7/29/20 11:08 am
From: Dinsmore, James J <oldcoot...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Summer Field Reports
Birders

The summer 2020 field season (June-July) is nearly over, and it is time to report your sightings for that season. These can be entered through the Iowa Ornithologists’ Union website. Directions are given under Iowa Birds, Report your Sightings. Besides reports of rare birds, species of most interest are those that have breeding ranges that do not cover all of Iowa, species whose breeding populations in Iowa are small or declining or are of conservation interest, and late spring and early fall migrants. I seldom say much about common nesting species (e.g., American Robin, Blue Jay, Black-capped Chickadee, etc). Probably the best guide is to look at recent reports for the summer season which are in the fourth issue of Iowa Bird Life each year. Back issues of I.B.L. are available for viewing through the Ann Barker Memorial Library on the I.O.U. website. The Iowa distribution of many species is constantly changing, and your reports help document those changes. Good examples are Blue Grosbeak and Northern Mockingbird which seem to have been reported often this summer. Bird reports sent to eBird are not automatically sent to the I.O.U. database. I appreciate your contributions, whether a single sighting or multiple sightings. Collectively they provide the most recent record of birds that are found in Iowa for the summer season. Thank you for your contributions.

Jim Dinsmore
Summer season field reports editor