Date: 7/28/20 6:33 pm
From: Linda Gionti <lgionti...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] carolina wren napping upside down
This morning I had a curious encounter with a carolina wren. I was sitting in the living room with the door open. A carolina wren appeared next to a pot of petunias on the deck, 15 feet away from me. It just sat there looking at me calmly for some time, even when I got up to get my binoculars. Then it hopped a few inches up onto a horizontal steel cable and slowly swung upside down, beak pointing straight down. It stayed like that for a good 5 minutes, and appeared to close its eyes and nap. Then it stirred and fluttered off into the scrubby underbrush of the backyard. I’m figuring it was perhaps a juvenile given how unperturbed it was with my presence. Could the napping upside down thing have been a random occurrence owing to its gripping a slippery metal cable right at the moment it was possessed by the need to sleep? I took a few pictures of it in acrobatic nap pose. I’m wondering if any of you have witnessed anything like this or have insights to share? It was also surprising because I haven’t had a carolina wren here since March 10 of this year.

-Linda
on the border of Huntington and Starksboro

Join us on Facebook!