Date: 7/28/20 6:29 pm
From: Stuart Sparkman <jacamar29...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Saylorville stilts and other shorebirds, duck ID in question
Hey I-Birders

Recent shorebird reports from Saylorville Reservoir (Jester Park CG 4)
drew us there this afternoon. There were many shorebirds on one of the
mudflats. The light was behind us and we have good scopes, but the birds
were pretty distant. Shorebirds included LEAST, SEMIPALMATED and PECTORAL
SANDPIPER, SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, KILLDEER, DOWITCHER sp, five BLACK-NECKED
STILTS (including juv.), and LESSER YELLOWLEGS. No sign of Am. Avocet or a
possible Ruff reported recently. Also of interest were five BLACK TERNS
and a small group of ducks, mostly MALLARD but one obvious non-Mallard
which we thought was an AMERICAN BLACK DUCK. With heat shimmer it's not
easy to get great looks at such a distance. It was suggested through eBird
that MOTTLED DUCK was a possibility for this bird. If anyone gets up there
on Wednesday, maybe take note of the field marks better than we did and
thoughts on this forum would be welcome.

Good Birding,

Stuart Sparkman
NW Des Moines