Date: 7/28/20 2:08 pm
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [obol] Re: RBA: Little Stint and Clatsop County Birding the past fortnight
Thanks for your evaluation and response. I wouldn't have go e out on this
limb at all had I not had the distinct impression of we bless toes on the
subject bird after just seeing the webs on the more typical looking SESA.
If the bird has to be left as Calidris sp. I am okay with that. Little
Stints are also quite variable in plumage as you know, and this, if it were
one, would be a paler-plumaged individual. I don't have my Johnson and Veit
available but I will look for some top view bill photos and drawings from
reliable sources like that article has to compare Molly's photo of the top
view of the bill. You probably already did that :). My stuff is still all
in storage since moving out of the house and into my one-bedroom cottage
from the divorce.

Thanks gain to you and Dave. Stay well!

David

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020, 13:58 Shawneen Finnegan <shawneenfinnegan...>
wrote:

> David:
>
> Dave Irons and I both looked at the photos and are not seeing Little
> Stint. To us it looks like a Semi. It lacks the finer tipped, slimmer bill
> and the prominent split supercilium. The photos aren’t clear enough to see
> if there is webbing or not.
>
> Given how variable juvenile Semis can be — some even incredibly rusty all
> over— we can’t turn this into a Little Stint.
>
> Shawneen and Dave
>
> On Jul 28, 2020, at 1:26 PM, David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
> wrote:
>

> Molly has added 10 photos of the bird in question to her Semipalmated
> Sandpiper entry in this ebird submission:
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S71839324
>
> Some of these photos show both the undisputed Semipalmated Sandpiper and
> the putative LITTLE STINT.
>
> I could be wrong, and that's okay. Let all who care to chime in! Go!
>
> David

Join us on Facebook!