Date: 7/28/20 9:07 am
From: Tom Grey <tgrey...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Nests & Juvies, Renzel & Stanford: pix
A one time law student of mine has a son in high school who is into birding
(YAY!) and I had the pleasure of introducing them to the Emily Renzel Ponds
scene last Friday, 7/24. There were plenty of juveniles with parents among
the birds as well: COMMON GALLINULES, CANADA GEESE, GADWALLS, and the
KILLDEER with four chicks. Also one active PIED-BILLED GREBE nest in the
west pond:
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170903622
and on the east pond island, this second year or adult GREEN HERON:
https://pbase.com/image/170903625

Around my house on the Stanford campus FLEDGLING RAPTORS continue to put on
a show. With RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS it's mostly repeated calls at a distance,
but juvie WHITE-TAILED KITES have made my redwoods regular perches, as here:
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170903599

I had the camera on one nicely perched juvie when it took off, giving me
this photo sequence:
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170906410
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170906436
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170906437

One photograph at first fooled me about what I had seen (read the caption):
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170890414

Also at home, I had another raptor visit, this one an adult COOPER'S HAWK
visiting my fountain:
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170890410
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170890411

--