Date: 7/28/20 6:13 am
From: Kristen Lindquist <kelindquist...>
Subject: Fwd: [Maine-birds] Nesting interference
Forgive me, and maybe I’m way off base here—but regardless of your thoughts
about private property, this may not be the best tactic to employ as a
birder. What may be “well within my rights” is not always right. And
nothing gives birders as a group a worse reputation than someone getting
publicly called out for pissing off a home/landowner—which makes the next
person who finds a rare bird on their property that much more likely to
prohibit visitors. “But your land wasn’t posted” is not a viable excuse.

With reference to the Mississippi Kites in NH, these landowners DID express
disapproval with people’s behavior. Did they have their lawns posted? Does
that even matter? Someone “exercising their rights” and pissing someone off
by chasing a bird through (unmarked) private property is only going to make
it that much harder for the next birder(s) who comes along. Our property
system here in ME generally works well for birders because most of us are
guided not by signage (or lack thereof) but by respect for each other and a
desire for continued access.

Kristen

--
Kristen Lindquist

Website: kristenlindquist.com
Haiku blog: www.kristenlindquist.com/blog/

--
Kristen Lindquist
Camden, ME

website: www.kristenlindquist.com
haiku blog: www.kristenlindquist.com/blog

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>