Date: 7/28/20 4:54 am
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Jay or hawk?
Hi -

Speaking of Jayhawks -

I spent 18 months in the mid-1980s working at the University of Kansas, and was shown a paper that described the history of the name "Jayhawk." Roy Lowe is correct about seeing them along the Oregon Coast, (and other coasts) because the description of a Jayhawk was clearly a description of a jaeger. I am not sure how jaegers got connected to Kansas statehood, but jaegers are rare but annual migrants through the Great Plains, including Kansas. In my 18 months there I was able to see 1 Parasitic Jaeger, one jaeger sp., and 2 Sabine's Gulls, which have a similar pattern of mid-continent occurrences.

Wayne