Date: 7/27/20 7:03 pm
From: Stuart Sparkman <jacamar29...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Bird Recording
Hey I-Birders,

Regarding the sound recording shared by Rick Hollis yesterday, I concur
that this is a Barred Owl noise. This is a very familiar sound to us, as
Barred Owls breed in the woods behind our house every year. We hear this
sort of call nearly every night through most of the summer. I always
assumed it was the sound juveniles make when they are begging from the
adults, as suggested by some other commenters. However, I am curious about
it now as I recently read "The Homing Instinct" by biologist Bernd Heinrich
in which he makes a somewhat passing comment that such a noise is produced
by adult females. In any case, I'm confident we have a near consensus as
to the species of bird, and the main mystery is solved. Incidentally, I've
read several books by this author, and his excellent "Mind of the Raven" is
one of the most fascinating books I've ever read about birds. I highly
recommend it, as well as "Ravens in Winter", which is quite good.

Good Birding,

Stuart Sparkman
NW Des Moines