Date: 7/27/20 3:42 pm
From: Charlie Nims <charlie.nims...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Mt. Chocorua crossbills & WT Sparrow songs
Yesterday, I hiked the Champney Falls trail to the summit of Mt. Chocorua as well as over to Middle Sister. The bird song is clearly down, probably a combination of the time of year and the small heat wave. I was surprised to have a Boreal Chickadee at ~3300’. Around the col between Chocorua and Middle Sister, there was a small flock of ~4 Red Crossbills but I could not get out my iPhone quickly enough to tape them. I had them both on the way up and down.

Interestingly, of the 3 White-throated Sparrows I had, two of them manifested both the traditional WTSP song as well as the “new”, shortened song. I was able to get about a one minute recording of one of them doing both calls in that stretch. But, when I tried to download my iPhone recording into eBird media, I got a message saying that my file format could not be accepted. I will keep trying to get it on to my eBird post.

Charlie Nims
Bartlett, NH