Date: 7/27/20 11:45 am
From: Frank Vanslager via groups.io <Vanslagerf=<aol.com...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Many Phalaropes at New Chicago Marsh on 7/27/2020
All:

For perching birds, this is the Doldrums, but for shorebirds this can be a good time.  So I went to Elizabeth and Gold in Alviso.  I found a Lesser and a Greater Yellowlegs, and then I noticed a turning flock of birds In the distant first pond of New Chicago Marsh, so I walked back to get the Questar.  There were about 250 Phalaropes, mostly Red-necked.

When I went to Spreckles I found that there was an even larger number of Phalaropes there, in almost every direction that I looked.  (See the attached photo.)  There were many tight flocks which I unfortunately missed in my photograph.  The all-grey back of the non-breeding Wilson's Phalarope was the easiest to identify.

At the EEC I checked out islands 13 to 16 (from west to east) but found only the usual suspects.

Frank Vanslager

View/Reply Online (#22065): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/22065
-=-=-
-=-=-