Date: 7/27/20 11:27 am
From: Sean Murtha via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Common Tern Colony at Cockenoe Island, Westport, sad news...

A visit on Sunday afternoon by kayak to the Common Tern nesting colony on the Cockenoe Island sandbar revealed a disappointing outcome... the colony was deserted, with only one juvenile tern seen on the bar, and later a few flyover adult terns, with perhaps another juvenile (or the same one). Numbers were well into the hundreds just the weekend before, so we fear that the intervening Spring tides may have washed over the site. A sad outcome, but an ever-present risk and one that has happened before.

Oystercatchers also nest on the sandbar, and several were still present, though only one still in juvenile plumage. Very few shorebirds were there when we were, but numbers of Ring-billed Gulls and Laughing Gulls were up.

-Sean (and Brendan) Murtha, Norwalk

www.seanmurthaart.com