Date: 7/27/20 9:31 am
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Lake Umbagog Birds & Bugs (Canada Jays, Goldeneye, young Palm Warblers, AMERICAN SNOUT, etc.)
Jane and I traveled north to Lake Umbagog for the weekend. The 2nd time
we've visited this area this month. We were hoping for some insects,
and were a bit surprised at what we found.

For birds, we spent the first day kayaking out to Sweat Meadow in hopes
of finding the nesting family of Sandhill Cranes. Alas, no luck for the
2nd time. They appear to keep well hidden in this expansive marsh. As
expected, bird song had greatly diminished so we didn't find as much. Of
some interest was the sighting of around 300 Tree Swallows in the foggy
early morning. Presumably roosting the previous night in the marsh. As
the fog broke, the flock dispersed. Also of interest were juvenile Palm
Warblers, a young (but full grown) Common Goldeneye, and two very young
(but unaccompanied?) Ring-necked Ducks.

The following day, we spent two hours birding the Mollidgewock Road area
of Errol. The complete list as follows. Of interest, we had zero
crossbills in the two days we visited. Red Crossbills seem to be rather
widespread in many areas of the State right now.

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 7
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher 2
Blue-headed Vireo 2
Red-eyed Vireo 7
CANADA JAY 4 2 adults and fledged juvenile. 3rd adult by itself.
Blue Jay 37
Black-capped Chickadee 28
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
Red-breasted Nuthatch 8
Winter Wren 3
Veery 1
Swainson's Thrush 3
Hermit Thrush 8
American Robin 4
Cedar Waxwing 3
Chipping Sparrow 2
White-throated Sparrow 7
Swamp Sparrow 1
Black-and-white Warbler 2
Nashville Warbler 2
Common Yellowthroat 8
American Redstart 2
Northern Parula 6
Magnolia Warbler 5
Blackburnian Warbler 2
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
Black-throated Blue Warbler 3
Palm Warbler (Yellow) 4 2 juveniles.
Yellow-rumped Warbler 2
Black-throated Green Warbler 3
Canada Warbler 2
Indigo Bunting 1

INSECTS
-------

It was also a fun weekend for butterflies and dragonflies. While we
didn't see a terribly large number of either, I still managed to find 2
"life" butterflies and roughly 5 "life" dragonflies. By far, the most
interesting insect was an AMERICAN SNOUT butterfly seen along Dead
Diamond Road in Wentworths Location. Snouts are a strange migratory
butterfly which can be common to sometimes abundant in Texas and Mexico.
Occasionally, they wander north and reach southern New England. They
are considered "extremely rare" in Massachusetts according to the
Massachusetts Butterfly Club web site. I believe there are historic
records for New Hampshire, but not sure how many or from where. To see
my first ever of this southern species from NORTH of the White Mountains
was a shock.

In any event, the Snout was quite cooperative for photos. Even with my
old Point-And-Shoot. Not particularly colorful, but unique with the
long mouth parts (snout) that allows them to camouflage as a dead leaf stem:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/50153262907/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/50153026436/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/50153263207/in/photostream/

Steve & Jane Mirick