Date: 7/27/20 7:56 am
From: Don Henise <kiskadee3...>
Subject: [obol] Re: A few Coos Shorebirds 7/26/2020
Robyn and I have seen a couple of Wandering Tatlers in the past few days. On Friday 2 were present on the rocks below the Cape Arago lookout at low tide. On Saturday 4 were in the Bandon area. Two of those were on the old pier behind the Coast Guard building in Old Town. The other two were seen on the rocks on the east end of the south jetty. The Bandon sightings were near high tide.We have been seeing good flights of Brown Pelicans and a few Heermann's Gulls moving north but not much else moving along the coast yet.At Cape Arago there were a number of "pairs" of Common Murre adult and young moving slowly north on the water, presumably dad and kid. Interestingly, we have not detected any young on the Bandon rocks yet. It has been quite windy the last few times we have been in Bandon making it difficult to scope those rocks.Don HeniseMyrtle Point, <ORkiskadee3...>
-------- Original message --------From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...> Date: 7/26/20 4:36 PM (GMT-08:00) To: "OBOL (<obol...>)" <obol...> Subject: [obol] A few Coos Shorebirds 7/26/2020 We went out early on our three mile loop walk this AM on N Spit Coos Bay. Started walk at sunrise in pea soup fog but no wind. Turns out there was a steady stream of shorebirds working the beach and the fog made it easy to get close, here is the beach list:70- Sanderlings50- Western Sandpipers (only four adults)One each of:Red-necked PhalaropeSnowy PloverSemipalmated PloverSemipalmated Sandpiper (juvie)Back on the bay side there were 6 Least Sandpipers and a couple Killdeer. A flock of a dozen Evening Grosbeaks flew overhead headed south to ??Over at Pony Slough in North Bend there was approximately 400 peeps all but one flock to far to see. The 25 I did observe were about 50-50 Least/Westerns with only one adult, a Least.Spent rest of day working in yard and had many siskins flying over.Afternoon dog walk in Eastside area of Coos Bay (near Millicoma Marsh) featured 80 degree sunny skies, a Willow Fly (furthest west they breed in county I know of), and many scotch broom with their exploding seed pods which always sounds like lots of popcorn popping and apparently is a very successful method of seed dispersal.Happy mid-summer all!Tim RodenkirkCoos Bay

Join us on Facebook!