Date: 7/27/20 7:39 am
From: Justin Bosler <justin.bosler...>
Subject: [texbirds] Hurricane Hanna birds at Lake Casa Blanca (Webb Co.)
Texbirds,

Yesterday's storm birding results were quite unprecedented for modern
times. Although I was unable to find any "mega" rarities, the cumulative
diversity and totals of several coastal species were remarkable. I sat on
the Falcon Lake Dam for over 4 hours mid-morning to early afternoon and
while I racked up an impressive checklist, I failed to locate any true
seabirds. More on that in a separate post.

After a brief dawn visit -- that was rather unexciting -- I returned to
Lake Casa Blanca in Laredo late afternoon and hit the jackpot, with
apparent first county records of Magnificent Frigatebird (7+), Black
Skimmer (6) and Royal Tern. Also, at least 3 Common Terns which are rarely
reported in the county and a very rare-in-July Ring-billed Gull.

What did others find yesterday?

Justin Bosler
Austin, Texas

Lake Casa Blanca Intl. SP (HOTE 117), Webb, Texas, US
Jul 26, 2020 5:07 PM - 6:47 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
51 species (+1 other taxa)

Mexican Duck 3
Eurasian Collared-Dove 18
White-winged Dove 36
Mourning Dove 6
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1
Black-necked Stilt (Black-necked) 26+
Killdeer 4
Stilt Sandpiper 16 (one group, returned to sandbar in PM)
peep sp. 30+
Spotted Sandpiper 2
Greater Yellowlegs 2 (large yellowlegs, comparable in size to BNST,
vocal)
Laughing Gull 14 (mixed ages, about 4-5 fresh juv., at least 14)
Ring-billed Gull 1 (presumed advanced first summer, blue-gray bill w/
dark tip, black primary covs, slight "hooded" appearance)
Least Tern 24 (at least 24, one group numbering 14+)
Black Tern 6 (3 alt. ad., 3 first summer)
*Common Tern* *3* (1-2 ad., 1 first summer)
Forster's Tern 3
*Royal Tern* *1* (presumed basic ad., flying and diving as well as
resting on sandbar)
*Black Skimmer* *6 * (one group, resting on sandbar initially, then
appearing to forage around perimeter of sandbar in typical skimming
fashion, lousy digiscoped photos; *very rare away from immediate coast)
*Magnificent Frigatebird* *7* (as many as 3 ad. m, 2 ad. f, 2 imm.,
photos of most; **very rare away from immediate coast, 1st record for Webb)
Neotropic Cormorant 8
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 3
Great Egret 6
Snowy Egret 20
Little Blue Heron 2
Green Heron 2
Black-crowned Night-Heron 5
Turkey Vulture 20
Osprey (carolinensis) 2 (at least 2 gliding around, possibly 3)
Green Kingfisher 2
Golden-fronted Woodpecker (Northern) 2
Great Kiskadee 8
Couch's Kingbird 7