Date: 7/27/20 12:04 am
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Virginia Rail (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)
- Sharp-shinned Hawk (1 report)

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (1)
- Reported Jul 26, 2020 08:00 by Deann Purcell
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "On the southeast side of Phelps Creek bridge, in the reeds about 12 feet from the bridge. Easily seen, though we waited about 40 minutes for him to emerge. Photo taken."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (2)
- Reported Jul 26, 2020 18:30 by Susanne Meyer
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing immature bird in brush East of bridge plus my first sighting of a juvenile foraging on opposite side of Slough mouth photographed from parking lot."

Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) (1)
- Reported Jul 26, 2020 08:41 by Mark Holmgren
- WCC Camp 34.5243 -119.9237, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.524254,-119.923691&ll=34.524254,-119.923691
- Comments: "I recognize the awkwardness of reporting this. Kevin and I saw a small Accipiter perched atop a burned pine. Our look was brief but I saw a gray bird with a banded tail (brown bands on gray tail), gray body, raptor profile, and predator's bill. Kevin saw white undertail coverts. The bird flew to the north and I attempted a flight photo, but failed. Its wing shape and flight pattern was not falcon-like; the wing tips were rounded and wingbeat was not rapid like that of a falcon. The small size of the bird was most impressive."

View/Reply Online (#30748): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/30748
-=-=-
Updated status & distribution of Santa Barbara County birds: http://www.sbcobirding.com/lehmanbosbc.html
-=-=-