Date: 7/26/20 9:43 pm
From: Don Henise <kiskadee3...>
Subject: [obol] White-tailed Kite Family - Coos
Robyn and I drive the Coquille to Bandon Road - Highway 42S - at least
once a week, sometimes more often. Through the end of April we would
occasionally see one or two White-tailed Kites in the Coquille River
Valley to the west of Parkersburg Road. We wondered if they might nest
in the area. Then we didn't see any through the month of May and only
saw one once in June on the 1st. We had not seen any kites along 42S
until yesterday when I spotted one on a tree. This was a little farther
west right at the 5 mile marker on the highway. We found a spot to pull
over and I walked back to investigate and was surprised to find a family
of 6 individuals - 2 adults and 4 recently fledged young. The adults
were flying around apparently hunting and perching on tree tops. The
four young were sitting together in low bush making us think that they
were very recently fledged.

I have some very poor distant digiscoped photos in my eBird checklist:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S71807657

--
Don Henise

Myrtle Point, OR