Date: 7/26/20 9:11 pm
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Jay or hawk?
I too lean strongly toward Hawk. It sounds unusually short for a Red-tail. The trailing, slightly descending end of the call is abbreviated. But l have sort of given up trying. Where l live the Steller's Jay's were imitating Goshawks for a few years. One sparkling April morning l had just returned from a walk when l heard a Goshawk call.  "There's a Steller's Jay again,"l thought. Immediately after that an adult male Goshawk flew out of a small Douglas-fir . It was only 5m above my head. About the most unequivocal look I've ever had.       Canada Jays imitate a variety of Pygmy Owl calls. They are about equally common here where l live. I presume that when tooting goes on for minutes on end it's not a jay. But in many cases l would deem it a fool's errand to try to tell the difference. At this time of year there's the added factor of young birds still acquiring a voice so to speak.     The last time l was at Luckiamute State Natural area we repeatedly heard a half familiar call. It had the cadence of a Bald Eagle.  But it wasn't the typical high-pitched nails on the blackboard squeal.  Lower pitched, slightly liquid. Someone suggested a begging juvenile BAEA and it made sense. Two juvies were in evidence several times that morning, though the calls in question always came from a bird out of sight.      I thought it incongruous that a young bird would be lower pitched than an adult.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Join us on Facebook!