Date: 7/26/20 8:03 pm
From: Charlie La Rosa <charlie.larosa...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] barn swallows in peril (complaint from neighbor0
Hmmm. Is there a utility wire that goes above his deck or to the peak of
his house that the birds often use as a perch? How much poop is on your own
roof and car?

Is he blaming the barn swallows simply because they are the most obvious
birds that he notices? After all, they do fly around a lot in search of
insects and go in and out of the barn frequently. I'll bet there are plenty
of robins and sparrows about that also are pooping. I don't know how large
your barn is. Are there pigeons around?

At any rate....the young should soon be fledged if they haven't yet,
activity in your barn will decrease, and the swallows will head south
fairly soon. Additionally, if we choose to live in the country in Vermont,
there are certain things we have to accept. Muddy roads. Dusty roads. Bumpy
roads. Salted roads. Icy roads. The smell of freshly spread manure. Well,
one can actually gain an appreciation of that. Storms of "mixed
precipitation". Potato beetles and tomato hornworms. Still haven't gained
an appreciation of them! Aphids. Spider webs. Cluster flies. Blackflies.
Horse flies. Deer flies. Mosquitoes. Chervil. Poison parsnip. Poison ivy.
Knotweed. House mice. Bats in the attic. Fresh strawberries. The smell of
apple blossoms, lilacs, and newly mowed hay. A gillion stars, and sometimes
a comet, and the Milky Way in the inky sky at night. Owls and coyotes
calling from the woods. Curious otters. Cows grazing in emerald green
pastures. Horses on hillsides. Families of grouse running across the road
with mother grouse holding her ground and acting as crossing guard. Crunchy
apples. Sweet corn. October foliage. Fresh cider. Maple syrup. Bloodroot in
April. A little swallow poop is a small price to pay, I think.

Sounds to me like he's just very particular about cleanliness and
appearance. Many of us pay no mind to such things and simply hope for a
good rain at regular intervals.

You might take him up on his offer to meet in the shade with a lemonade in
hand but with the proviso that you both read and discuss "Mending Wall" by
Robert Frost before you begin your discussion of barn swallows and bird
droppings.

If that doesn't help you reach an accommodation, you could get a rooster.

Good luck.

Charlie La Rosa
So. Washington