Date: 7/26/20 5:39 pm
From: Kay Carter <KayCarter001...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Hawk or Jay?
True, the very strong screams are “real” Red-tailed Hawks. But those almost always come from flying birds. Perched red-tails often make a softer, less intense call. Just a couple of days ago I heard that very call coming from about half way up a Douglas fir. I looked up, fully expecting a Steller’s Jay, and was surprised to see a hawk fly out of the tree.

Where I live and bird regularly there are lots of Steller’s Jays year round. I hear them just outside my bedroom window at first light and pretty much any time I go outside. My regular walk takes me along some open fields that host Red-Tailed Hawks much of the year. I listen to birds probably more than I look at them (the product of less-than-stunning eyesight, probably). The jay are GOOD.

Kay