Date: 7/26/20 4:37 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] A few Coos Shorebirds 7/26/2020
We went out early on our three mile loop walk this AM on N Spit Coos Bay.
Started walk at sunrise in pea soup fog but no wind. Turns out there was a
steady stream of shorebirds working the beach and the fog made it easy to
get close, here is the beach list:
70- Sanderlings
50- Western Sandpipers (only four adults)
One each of:
Red-necked Phalarope
Snowy Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Semipalmated Sandpiper (juvie)

Back on the bay side there were 6 Least Sandpipers and a couple Killdeer. A
flock of a dozen Evening Grosbeaks flew overhead headed south to ??

Over at Pony Slough in North Bend there was approximately 400 peeps all but
one flock to far to see. The 25 I did observe were about 50-50
Least/Westerns with only one adult, a Least.

Spent rest of day working in yard and had many siskins flying over.

Afternoon dog walk in Eastside area of Coos Bay (near Millicoma Marsh)
featured 80 degree sunny skies, a Willow Fly (furthest west they breed in
county I know of), and many scotch broom with their exploding seed pods
which always sounds like lots of popcorn popping and apparently is a very
successful method of seed dispersal.

Happy mid-summer all!
Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay