Date: 7/26/20 3:05 pm
From: Matthew Dodder <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] A2E
Yesterday morning, Cricket and I visited Las Palmas Park in Sunnyvale, one of the many urban parks within our 5MR. We quickly heard and saw a small flock of MITRED PARAKEETS flying over the drained pool. We never did see them land anywhere so we couldn’t have a chance to sort though the individuals in search of the less common Red-masked Parakeet. I know these birds are introduced, but I’ve always enjoyed them, but I’ve noticed how infrequently I hear them in Mountain View recently. It used to be I’d hear them every a couple of times a week…

Today we walked along the Stevens Creek north of Hwy 101 toward the bay. At salt pond A2E we immediately found a large number of Terns foraging close to the trail’s bend. The flock was roughly half FORSTER’S TERNS and half LEAST TERNS. Both species had young and adults feeding very close to the levy. We scanned all the posts, duck hides and shore for other species of Terns, but no luck yet. Maybe next time. There were several BROWN PELICANS roosting with the AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS. On a side note, we occasionally have Caspian Tern flying over our home in the middle of the night. With the windows open, the sound often wakes me up, as does the occasional Barn Owl.

Matthew

Matthew Dodder
Executive Director
Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society