Date: 7/26/20 1:22 pm
From: Roger Freeman <freemanbecard...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Hawk or Jay?
I would vote STJA. Has a short crisp element to it. I also get that
mimicking in nearby timber, often followed by the slow coarse chatter more
typical of Stellar’s Jay. It catches my attention every time.

But we also have Red-tails that nest nearby each spring and I see daily now
that regularly screech out when flying overhead.

Roger Freeman

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 12:30 PM Andy Thomas <dmarc-noreply...>
wrote:

> I recorded this call this morning in a wooded area where I have recently
> (including yesterday) seen Red-tailed Hawks, Steller's Jays and a Steller's
> Jay mimicking a Red-tailed Hawk. I am interested in others' opinions as to
> whether this is a hawk or a jay. My BirdNET app IDed it as Red-tailed Hawk
> -- "Almost certain" (Birdnet's highest degree of certainty; but sometimes
> incorrect). I filtered out some low-frequency noise, but have not otherwise
> fiddled with the sound.
>
> Andrew Thomas
> West Linn (Clackamas)

Join us on Facebook!