Date: 7/26/20 12:45 pm
From: Dan Gleason <dan-gleason...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Hawk or Jay?
Sounds like Steller’s Jay to me. When I played this my wife, Barbara, came in from the other room asking if I was hearing a Steller’s Jay, thinking the sound was coming from outside at first. It caught her attention because we don’t have Steller’s Jays in this neighborhood. We just moved across town a couple of months ago and we miss the jays. We had many of them at our former house where we had lived for 20 years. We became very familiar with Steller’s Jays sitting in the trees above our deck and daily giving their Red-tail impersonation. It’s a very good imitation and if you’re not paying close attention, it can easily be mistaken for the real thing.

Dan Gleason
Owner, Wild Birds Unlimited of Eugene
Ornithology Instructor, retired, University of Oregon
<dan-gleason...>

> On Jul 26, 2020, at 12:30 PM, Andy Thomas (Redacted sender adt0611 for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply...> wrote:
>

> I recorded this call this morning in a wooded area where I have recently (including yesterday) seen Red-tailed Hawks, Steller's Jays and a Steller's Jay mimicking a Red-tailed Hawk. I am interested in others' opinions as to whether this is a hawk or a jay. My BirdNET app IDed it as Red-tailed Hawk -- "Almost certain" (Birdnet's highest degree of certainty; but sometimes incorrect). I filtered out some low-frequency noise, but have not otherwise fiddled with the sound.
>
> Andrew Thomas
> West Linn (Clackamas)
> <RTHA_07-26-20_MSY_birdnet_mobile_8267459742_recording_3149.wav>

Join us on Facebook!