Date: 7/26/20 8:51 am
From: DENNIS MAIN via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] CT Bird Atlas and CT Blue Trails..... and Avalonia Land Conservancy, Inc. Trailed Preserves.....
Just FYI for those interested in birding in Southeastern CT (New London "County" ) area, Avalonia Land Conservancy, Inc. has now conserved 4331 acres, many of which are open to the public. An interactive map of Preserves that are trailed is located at https://avalonia.org/map/- A number of the Preserves now have an associated eBird "hot-spot" which corresponds to the public parking location. A good deal of those are in Blocks that are NOT currently "owned" at my last review of the map. There is some good birding out there!!

Interactive Map of Preserves & Trails – Avalonia Land Conservancy

| | |

| |
Interactive Map of Preserves & Trails – Avalonia Land Conservancy

Dennis 860-823-MAIN

On Saturday, July 25, 2020, 11:03:50 PM EDT, Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz via CTBirds <ctbirds...> wrote:

I was recently doing a bit of Atlas Block Busting and found the Connecticut Walk Book to be invaluable. Blue and related trails will frequently cross roads, allowing you to safely park near the trail head and take short walks into a variety of habitats. Many public trail easements are the only way to access portions of private property. Earlier Walk Book editions provided brief hike descriptions which may guide you to target habitats. Trail maps are also available at the Connecticut Forest and Park Association and DEEP State Park/Forest websites as well as commercial App sites such as Alltrails. These compliment the excellent guidance provided on the CT Bird Atlas Block Maps page.
My trip morphed into a late-Atlas, block sign-up. There's still time to adopt a block and learn so much more about the distribution of birds in Connecticut.
Steve MayoBethany