Date: 7/25/20 1:26 pm
From: Lisa Myers <lisa...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Los Capitancillos ponds from Singletree
Hi all -

I led a Saturday morning bird walk today at the Los Capitancillos ponds
in San Jose. Limited to 10 people, with masks, with social distancing &
no sharing of optics. We met off Singletree. At the start of our walk we
had a single BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK. ACORN WOODPECKERS and the usual
suburban birds like NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD, MOURNING DOVE and CALIFORNIA
SCRUB JAY were also here. We did not re-find the gnatcatchers, vireos,
cowbirds, red-winged blackbirds or Yellow Warbler that Janna reported on
July 19.

I believe it is the elderberry's that are filled with fruit all along
the trail and the WESTERN BLUEBIRDS were enjoying the bounty. We saw
HOODED ORIOLES several times which was a lifer for some. We saw the
family of GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES flying between ponds and a female BELTED
KINGFISHER was spotted on two occasions. BLACK PHOEBES were abundant.

One juvenile GREEN HERON, a few adult AMERICAN COOTS, calling, adult
PIED-BILLED GREBES and a family of CANADA GEESE were within the ponds.
Both towhees were here plus LESSER GOLDFINCH.

If you want to learn the difference between swifts and swallows this is
the place to go! I have never been so up-close and personal with VAUX'S
SWIFT. I was impressed. To hear their vocalization from behind or
directly in front of me was very cool as compared to hearing them way up
in the air. Some were also drinking from the ponds below the levee so we
were able to study them from above. Most of the swallows were juvenile
which also provided a learning opportunity - mostly NORTHERN
ROUGH-WINGED, with a handful of CLIFF and VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS.

TURKEY VULTURES were circling throughout our walk. The only raptors were
two adult circling RED-TAILED HAWKS.

We had 37 species in total.

Stay well.

Lisa Myers