Date: 7/25/20 10:47 am
From: John and Glennah Trochet <trochetj...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Warning Re: Early Female Ornithologist Florence M. Bailey visits Texas & Mexico in 1900 (1916 Condor)
Dear TexBirders,

I am not going to dispute the assertion that FMB wrote disparagingly of
people of the borderlands, or to defend her. I have not read the papers
referred to in this space. But I had the same initial impression of John
Whitehead when I read his *Exploration of Mount Kinabalu, North Borneo*.
But elsewhere in the book he expressed similar withering opinions of fellow
Brits and other Europeans. In sum, he seemed to possess a general
misanthropy. So there is another possible, though probably less likely,
explanation for the views regarding peoples of different recent backgrounds
held by Mrs. Bailey.

Best,
John Trochet
Sacramento