Date: 7/25/20 5:27 am
From: Jane Hills <jhbird...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Pawtuckaway - no bugs?
Earlier this morning I decided to give myself and my car some exercise, so I
ventured out to spend a while at Pawtuckaway State Park. The foliage was
thick and the birds quiet, so my list (below) is short. But I'm wondering
if anyone else has noticed the near-absence of bugs over the past few years?
When I began birding about 30-35 years ago, going to Pawtuckaway meant a bug
net and loads of bug spray, and even then it was hard to see through the
swarm. This morning there were only a few bugs and no spray or net was
needed. I read about a study in Europe indicating that we are killing a lot
of bugs with our pesticides, so the numbers there were way down. This is
another case of what's good/comfortable for the birder isn't necessarily
good for the birds! It's concerning.

Wood Duck

Wild Turkey

Northern Flicker

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Hairy Woodpecker

Downey Woodpecker

Eastern Kingbird

Eastern Phoebe

Eastern Wood-pewee

Willow Flycatcher

Tree Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Tufted Titmouse

White-breasted Nuthatch

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Gray Catbird

Eastern Bluebird

American Robin

Hermit Thrush

Wood Thrush

Red-eyed Vireo

Black-and-White Warbler

Pine Warbler

Scarlet Tanager

American Goldfinch

Chipping Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

Jane

Jane Hills

Manchester, NH

jhbird(at)myfairpoint(dot)net

"We are all environmentalists now, but we are not all planetists. An
environmentalist realizes that nature has its pleasures and deserves
respect. A planetist puts the earth ahead of the earthlings." --William
Safire