Date: 7/24/20 3:30 pm
From: Mike Patterson <celata...>
Subject: [obol] RBA: Ft Stevens Lark Bunting (maybe)
I was out at Parking lot D, Ft Stevens SP, Clatsop this morning looking
for insects to photograph for a local project I am participating in and
noted a funny looking sparrow...

I dropped in, apparently coming from the direction of the ocean, and
lit in a scrubby alder just outside the new perimeter fence for the
ongoing jetty construction.

My first impression was "that's a big looking Savannah Sparrow". I
move closer and realized I wasn't looking at a Savannah Sparrow. I had
the wrong lens on my camera (insects, remember) and I while I was
fussing around, I bird disappeared. I was unable to relocate after an
hour of trying.

Overall the bird looked like a large slaty-brown sparrow with a
broadly large darkish bill. The face had a pale-ish lore on an
otherwise weakly marked face. It had a strong malar line and crisply
dark streaking on a white-ish breast. Lower breast and belly unmarked.
Wing and back slaty-brown with indistinct darker streaking. I'm pretty
sure there was a pale patch at the wrist of the wing. I did not see
the tail well enough to not any white.

It's not a bird I'm sure enough to count on a list, but I don't
know what else to call it. Something for others to look for

Drawing attached

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR