Date: 7/23/20 2:18 pm
From: Tim Halloran <timhalloran...>
Subject: [obol] Tufted Puffins at Cannon Beach

I have been monitoring the Tufted Puffin colony at Haystack Rock for nine years of an 11 year study by USFW biologists. This year it’s a volunteer project of the Friends of Haystack Rock. The population has hovered around 120, sometimes dipping below 100 or soaring above 140. This year the numbers have been low, but I have seen activity at about 30 burrows, including some instances of fish or squid being carried in to the pufflings. My highest count at any one time has been 21 so far. We are approaching the time of year when the greatest numbers can be seen. Mornings are best, generally between 7:30 and 10.
They also pose for photos as sunset approaches. Look for me in my red jacket, seated well north of the rock where I get the best vantage point on the whole colony. The study continues through Labor Day, when just a few puffins remain, if any.

Tim Halloran

Join us on Facebook!