Date: 7/23/20 1:43 pm
From: John Ranta <john.f.ranta...>
Subject: Re: [NHBirds] Scarlet Tanagers and others
Here in our backyard (Hancock), over June-July we’ve regularly seen/heard:

*Scarlet tanagers (nesting pair, just last week gathering nest materials again - second brood?)
*Red eyed vireos (nesting, I assume, they’re here all summer every year)
*Winter wrens (nesting, I think, I wake up to that long trilling call every day at dawn, second year in a row)
*Black-throated green warblers (they’ve been here for two months, for several summers in a row now)
*Black-throated blue warbler (same)
*Hummingbirds (3 females have been here for two months, just saw a male for the first time today, they raised a brood last year, not sure about this year)
*Turkeys (just adult female, no sign of fledglings)
*Broad-winged hawks (nesting nearby, I suspect, several years in a row now, I see the pair soaring/hunting most mornings when the sun is up a ways)
*Barred owls (several years in a ros, if they’re nesting this it’s not as close to the house as years past)
*Robins and phoebes (nesting, second broods for both, phoebes are the hardest working birds in bird-dom)
*Downy (noisy fledglings showed up last week), pileated and hairy woodpeckers (not sure about these guys nesting, when the hairy wp had a nest here last year you couldn’t miss it for the constant racket, this year it’s much quieter)
*yellow-bellied sapsuckers (they seem to like hunting insects on the ground in my garden, or are they getting grit?)
*Hermit thrushes (several years in a row)
*Juncoes, goldfinches, chickadees, titmice, bluejays, wb nuthatches (all have been here since winter, I assume most are nesting as well, both the goldfinch and nuthatch increased significantly at the feeders a couple of weeks back)

We’ve occasionally seen/heard during June-July:
*Chipping sparrows
*Ravens (with raucous, squawking fledglings)
*Turkey vultures and Great blue heron (fly-overs)
*Great-crested flycatchers (passing through for a few days last week)
*Ruby and golden crowned kinglets
*Brown creepers
*RB nuthatches
*Yellow-billed cuckoos (just in the last week or two)

John Ranta