Date: 7/23/20 10:43 am
From: New Notification <moultnews...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Cormorants on Winni
Flock of 25-30 cormorants has been roosting on Loon Island (the one near Shep Brown's marina on the east side of Meredith Neck) for the past couple of weeks. Some of you may remember that there was a roost on one of the small islands near downtown Meredith a couple of years ago, until someone cut down the tree to prevent them from continuing to roost there. My camp is near Loon Island and it does add a certain interest to my after-dinner swim to watch them swooping and circling as they decide who gets what perch and who want to sit next to whom before they settle down for the night.

Also had a close-up loon sighting on Monday morning, coming in from an early boat ride about 7:30 and immediatley after I shut down the engine and stepped onto the dock, a loon appeared about a foot behind the boat, dived under the boat and came back out, then swam off underwater into a shallow, weedy area where it perhaps hoped to find small fish. Must have been on the other side of the dock, so I didn't see it as I approached. Pretty cool to see one literally right at my feet, and to watch it swimming underwater. Not banded.

Jane Rice