Date: 7/23/20 7:00 am
From: kfinch <kfinch51...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] July 23, 2020: Coyote Hollow, Thetford Center
Ted:  Your updates are always terrific, but this one is especially beautiful!
    Ken Finch, Chester
-------- Original message --------From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> Date: 7/23/20 8:09 AM (GMT-05:00) To: <VTBIRD...> Subject: [VTBIRD] July 23, 2020: Coyote Hollow, Thetford Center 5:05 a.m. 64 degrees, wind ESE 2 mph. Sky: fog socked, off and on drizzle;pitter-patter of dripping leaves; Coyote Hollow reveals itselfincrementally like a Polaroid snapshot. Permanent streams: refreshed (abit) and gurgling. Wetlands: visible but slowly expanding. Pond: mobilequilling; a hypnotic run of ever-swelling concentric circles. Ferns andcoltsfoot upright and revived.Morning chorus. Lead singer: robins, everywhere resounding.Background vocals: scarlet tanager; ovenbird (one); chickadees,white-breasted nuthatch (two chicks chase a parent); veery (calling notsinging); red-eyed vireos (hard to believe that they're in the background);woodcock (flushed from the road; wings whirring); crows; blue jays;yellow-billed cuckoo (once again); white-throated sparrow (definitely thetruncated song); song sparrows; pileated (most percussive); barred owls(called all night and past dawn); house wren; goldfinches (an avian versionof Darlene Love, just *Twenty Feet From Stardom)*.One deer runs across the road less than fifty feet in front of us; dogstighten their leaches. Another deer bounds across the wetlands, shoulderhigh in reeds, tail immaculate and erect, a beacon in the mist. When KenKesey was asked how he felt about the Apollo Moon Landing, he replied thatwe don't deserve to be in space until we learn how to live on Earth. Myboys grew up watching and listening to the kaleidoscopic assemblage ofcreatures that lived in or passed through this valley. I wanted them tobond with their home ground; to track the seasons across the wetlands. Iwanted them to feel the muck rise between their toes; to their awakenedtheir curiosity to sounds of the night. I wanted them to contemplate thestars, to feel the *freedom* of uncluttered time when hours passed likeminutes when the magic of the world opened like a flower.The other night, when Casey called and said I had to stay up to see thefuzz-ball comet, we had come full circle, the child had become thefather of the man . . . and the father leaned on the hood of his car,childlike . . . and peered out into the night sky.

Join us on Facebook!