Date: 7/22/20 10:51 pm
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Virginia Rail (1 report)
- Reddish Egret (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (3 reports)
- Summer Tanager (1 report)

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (1)
- Reported Jul 22, 2020 08:32 by Mark Holmgren
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Comments: "Calling for about 8 sec from the channel."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 22, 2020 07:50 by margeNdon thornton
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Medium sized egret, darker on back ; front, neck and head lighter, all tinged pink, well defined whitish eyering, pinkish beak with black tip."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 22, 2020 11:15 by Ron Hirst
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "Immature, facial pattern emerging. On the airport side of the bridge"

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 22, 2020 10:59 by Hans Spiecker
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "With BCNHs, continuing"

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 22, 2020 08:32 by Mark Holmgren
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "I’m not sure about this bird. The best photos are flight shots from a video. The bird was grayish. In my opinion, my photos of the bill, the chin, and the leg length are not definitive. Other opinions sought."

Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra) (1)
- Reported Jul 22, 2020 06:25 by Mark Holmgren
- Old Hwy 101- 34.5280 -120.1912, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.528038,-120.191206&ll=34.528038,-120.191206
- Comments: "Singing loudly for 5 min, it moved S 200m to 34.52739 -120.18921 where it sang a few times, then the song faded away over the mountain and was not heard again. I did not get a recording. It did not respond to playback. The most similar song of our locals would have been Black-headed Grosbeak. It differed in its explosiveness, the phrases ran into each other and were not punctuated by a slight pause. I did not detect any call notes accompanying the song."

View/Reply Online (#30734): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/30734
-=-=-
Updated status & distribution of Santa Barbara County birds: http://www.sbcobirding.com/lehmanbosbc.html
-=-=-