Date: 7/22/20 5:45 pm
From: Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Possible Yellow-crowned Night-Heron at Santa Maria Riv Estuary
I birded the SMRE this morning. The most noteworthy event was what I did
not see--none of the tens of 1000s of Sooty Shearwaters that we formerly
saw off the western coast of SB Co.
A child gleefully chased and cleared the estuary mouth of birds as I
arrived to scope the berm and estuary so I barely found a single sandpiper.

But, I may have seen a fresh juvenile *Yellow-crowned Night-Heron*. It was
tough to get decent photos. The bird was in two places along the section
of the channel that is closest to the entrance road. One cannot park a car
and observe along the entrance road, but you can park in the county park
and walk back up the road. Photos attached here; notes and photos on my
eBird checklist.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S71733014
If this is correctly identified, this may be our first North County
record. A couple of YcNH have been at Morro Bay for at least a year now.

Mark Holmgren
Santa Barbara

View/Reply Online (#30733): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/30733
-=-=-