Date: 7/22/20 4:52 pm
From: Joel Geier <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Grasshopper Sparrow fledgling at Fern Ridge WMA (Lane County)
Speaking of weird sounds, today while doing lark surveys in a very nice wet-prairie restoration in the Coyote Creek South unit of Fern Ridge Wildlife Area west of Eugene, I heard some new (to me) calls from an adult Grasshopper Sparrow that was sitting up in the Grindelia as I came through one of several areas there which seemed to have nesting pairs last month.

It was a short, insect-like chirp, and seemed to be an alarm call. This recording on Xeno-Canto sounds about right:
[ https://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Ammodramus-savannarum | https://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Ammodramus-savannarum ]

When I went a few steps farther, a fledgling flew out of the grass and forbs, making a weak flight of about 10 m before it tumbled back down into the prairie vegetation.

So it seems that the species nested successfully in the Fern Ridge area this year.

Other youngsters out in the area this morning included a clueless California Scrub-Jay fledgling, a whole bunch of young Western Bluebirds, and many young Savannah Sparrows.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

Join us on Facebook!