Date: 7/22/20 4:43 pm
From: Jack Swatt <jswattbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Lempster Town Forest Swainson's Thrush
The Swainson's Thrush that has been singing in a consistent territorial
location at Lempster Town Forest has returned for a fifth straight year. I
first heard it there on July 3, 2016 while hiking the trail with Pam Hunt.
Since then it has returned to the same general location every breeding
season. From the Duck Pond Trail parking area, heading into the Lempster
Town Forest on the old snowmobile trail, the bird can be heard to the right
of the trail anywhere after the first (small) wooden bridge. I heard
it very distantly from that area back on July 5th of this year, but from
the recording, I couldn't be sure it was the Swainson's. Dylan Jackson
heard it singing right along the trail, but closer to the wooden bridge
over Richardson Brook (near Mountain Rd.) this past weekend and I recorded
it from that same location yesterday. Dylan and I have been searching the
area for evidence of breeding for several years now, but the habitat it's
territory encompasses is dense young spruce forest making finding any
nesting location difficult. another search yesterday came up empty.
Hopefully, one of these years we will be able to document it breeding this
far south of it's normal breeding range.

https://ebird.org/nh/checklist/S71694414

Jack Swatt

Lempster, NH

Wolcott, CT