Date: 7/22/20 9:56 am
From: Margie Paris <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender margieparis1 for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Re: mystery mimic
I’ll second that ID challenge involving Bewick’s Wrens. For a couple of years, I was sure that I had Wrentits in my neighborhood, until I figured out I was hearing the end notes of the Bewick’s. And right now the young ones are making very mysterious calls.

Margie

Margie Paris
2394 Charnelton Street
Eugene, OR 97405
(541) 914-9356
<margieparis1...> <mailto:<margieparis1...>

> On Jul 22, 2020, at 9:34 AM, marciafcutler <marciafcutler...> wrote:
>
> The Bewick’s Wren has quite an extensive repertoire which makes identifying it by ear a challenge. However, one of the most consistent calls/songs it makes is what I call the “Heeere kitty-kitty kitty-kitty“ call. Often I don’t hear or register the “Heeere” beginning and just hear the "kitty-kitty kitty-kitty” part. That may be what you are hearing, just different mnemonics. I’ve been hearing it regularly around my house lately.
>
> Marcia F. Cutler
>
>> On Jul 21, 2020, at 4:27 PM, Beverly Ann LaBelle (Redacted sender "beverly.labelle" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply...> <mailto:<dmarc-noreply...>> wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone ever heard a Bewick's Wren make the call or song peter peter peter? Are these wrens mimics?
>> I found it very strange. I love in N Portland and heard peter peter peter while walking my dog in early spring and in the last 2 weeks. This bird is foraging in the mature Elm trees that line my street. I was able to see that it was a Bewick's Wren.
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Bev LaBelle
>> N Haight
>> Portland
>>

>> On July 21, 2020, at 3:51 PM, marciafcutler <marciafcutler...> <mailto:<marciafcutler...>> wrote:
>>

>> I’m sure Darrel didn’t have a California Quail, but I have seen a CAQU on the top of an old apple tree (higher than the adjacent 2d floor apartment). It was around Christmas time and I thought “a quail in an apple tree”.
>>
>> Marcia F. Cutler
>>
>>> On Jul 21, 2020, at 1:59 PM, <t4c1x...> <mailto:<t4c1x...> wrote:
>>>
>>> For about ten minutes this morning I heard some kind of bird imitating a California Quail here at Thornton Creek, Lincoln Co. It certainly was not a quail, because it was up in the trees, and it moved around over a fairly large area in a short time. I don't think it was a starling, either, because their mimic call sounds a lot like a real quail, and the rendition this bird was giving was a rather poor imitation. I never did catch up with whatever was making the call, and never did see it, so it remains a mystery.
>>>
>>> Darrel

Join us on Facebook!